Give the People What They Want, Part 2

“Signal & Noise” is a bimonthly column by Brian Taylor, AuD. Products and services that work relatively well for 25% of adults with hearing loss do not effectively address the wants and needs of the other 75%. The price and process of obtaining them are not in alignment with the needs of many. (paraphrased from…

Read More

So You Want to be a Doctor

“Peeling the Onion” is a monthly column by Harvey Abrams, PhD. We like to think of Audiology as a doctoring profession. Those who practice the profession have the requisite training, license and letters after their names.   Amending a Barrier to Our Doctoring Vision   While we (and our patients) may view ourselves as doctors,…

Read More
https://shannonchristy.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/no-class-i-think-ill-kayak/

The Hearing Impaired Patient Experience: How are Audiologists Doing?

Downstream Consequences of Age-Related Hearing Loss is a new bi-monthly column at Hearing Economics, written by Barbara Weinstein, PhD.  As described in her introductory post,  the theme is to quantify the patient’s hearing health care experience and focus on the role of these measures in clinical practice, new developments in aging,  and their relevance to…

Read More

Ear Devices to Anticipate Your Every Need: How Would Don Draper Handle This?

Q: What if the hearing aid industry  designed its own auditory augmentation “facilitory system” to compete with existing visions on the drawing boards of giant software and consumer electronics companies? That rhetorical question, posed previously, envisioned an industry-wide platform strategy built on existing binaural, Bluetooth-enabled RIC-type products with the requisite amplification features married to emerging…

Read More
http://www.patentprogress.org/patent-progress-legislation-guides/patent-progresss-guide-patent-reform-legislation/

US Hearing Aid Device Patent Activity for March-April 2015

Samsung Electronics’ history of suit-counter-suit patent-infringement litigation was referenced last post.  The patent-infringement lawsuit strategy is not peculiar to Samsung.  Such lawsuits increased by 25% in 2013.  Recent bills introduced in the US House and Senate have bipartisan congressional and White House support.  Among other things, the bills propose to reduce the number of frivolous…

Read More