This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn an advertising or referral fee from this article. This helps us continue to provide high quality content for free to readers like you. by Kirk P., Freelance Writer
MDHearingAid offers hearing aid solutions for people with different hearing loss problems. You can choose a device from their range that comes with all the features you need. Unlike some other hearing aid manufacturers, MDHearingAid sells its products directly to you, the consumer. This means you don’t need to visit a hearing specialist for an examination or travel miles to your nearest hearing aid center. But is it really possible to get good hearing aids without a test? And how does this affect the price? This comprehensive review will provide you with all the information you need if you’re deciding whether to purchase a product from MDHearingAid. You will find out product information and specifications, prices, pros, cons, and real customer reviews.
About the Company
MDHearingAid has been selling hearing aids direct to consumer more than a decade to more than 500,000 people in the U.S. According to the company, they offer “FDA-registered hearing aids programmed by their in-house audiologist”. The company operates from Southfield, MI. “From leadership to distribution to customer support, we’re passionate about helping people with hearing loss get affordable hearing aid solutions, and we’re dedicated to making your experience with us a good one,” MDHearing Aid says.
What You Need to Know
MDHearingAid sells various hearing aid solutions and accessories, including analog, classic, rechargeable, and smart devices. In this review, we’re going to feature all four of MDHearingAid’s products. These are, in no particular order, the AIR, VOLT, and CORE. These products have different price points and features. Let’s take a closer look: MDHearingAid AIR The AIR is said to be MDHearingAid’s best-selling model, and it offers great-quality sound without the expensive price tag. Utilizing the latest digital technology, the AIR has an almost-invisible design, which makes it hard for others to notice your hearing aid. The AIR has three audio settings, so you can adapt to your listening environment without any of the fuss. These settings are: Quiet, Social, and Noisy. The AIR model has better noise reduction, which is said to make it a good option for noisy, social situations, such as eating in a restaurant or watching a sports game. There’s no annoying whistle sound when you come in contact with another person who is wearing a hearing aid. This is because this model has a feedback cancellation feature.
- You can use the AIR in various locations, such as churches, theaters, meetings, and when relaxing at home.
- You can watch TV without having to increase the volume and annoying people in your home.
- You can enjoy clear conversations with friends, family, and co-workers. This product is also great for talking on the phone.
- There’s no need for a custom fit. You receive tubes and tips when you purchase this product.
When you purchase the AIR, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- One year’s worth of batteries (when you buy a pair), which saves you as much as $30.
MDHearingAid VOLT The MDHearingAid VOLT is a rechargeable device, which suits anyone who doesn’t want to have to keep buying and replacing batteries. There’s a charging dock included with this product, which could save you a significant amount of money over time. MDHearingAid says that, when charged, the VOLT lasts for a full day without losing power. They recommend placing the VOLT on the magnetic charger (included for free) overnight for full power the next day. The VOLT comes with advanced noise reduction, with dual-directional microphones that distinguish between sounds. This means it emphasizes sounds the user wants to hear (like a friend talking) and reduces unwanted background noise.
- Like the AIR, there’s no whistle sound when you come into contact with another person who is wearing a hearing aid because of the feedback cancellation feature.
- The VOLT will suit someone who wants to live an active life, with four audio settings that let the user customize their listening experience.
- People with hearing loss can use the VOLT in a wide range of locations, such as churches, meetings, restaurants, and more.
- The VOLT is also great for watching TV, talking over the phone, and enjoying clear conversations with other people.
- This product is small and lightweight, with a near-transparent tube that makes it difficult for anyone to know that you are wearing a hearing aid.
- It comes with tubes and tips in the box.
When you purchase the VOLT, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- A charging dock.
LifeEar CORE The LifeEar CORE from MDHearingAid is for people who want to customize their hearing aid via their smartphone or tablet. Essentially, it puts you in control. This Bluetooth-enabled hearing aid connects to various smartphone and tablet models but keeps its small format. Users can adjust the CORE based on their specific hearing problems, making this product a good choice for people who suffer from all different kinds of hearing loss issues. LifeEar CORE is available on both iOS and Android devices. This is the highest-rated app for hearing aids, with a rating of 4.2/5 on the App Store and 4/5 on Google Play.
- Users can adjust sounds via an app and control their hearing experience. The hearing aid also adapts to a user’s listening environment, with four audio settings that enhance sounds.
- There are two directional microphones that distinguish between sounds. As a result, users can listen clearly to the sounds they want to hear while the device reduces unwanted background noise.
- There’s no whistle sound when you approach another person with a hearing aid because of the feedback cancellation feature.
- The CORE has four settings that allow users to hear sounds in various noisy environments, such as churches and theaters.
- It’s also great for watching TV, talking on the phone, and having clear conversations with friends and family.
When you purchase the LifeEar CORE, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- One year’s worth of batteries (when you buy a pair), which could save you $30.
- Two tubes and two tips.
- A one-year protection plan (when you buy a pair), which could save you $80.
The company posts all of their prices on their website, which makes it easy to compare their devices with other products on the market.
- The AIR costs $399.99 for a single hearing aid and $799.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $399.99. This is a saving of $400.)
- The VOLT costs $599.99 for a single hearing aid and $1199.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $799.99. This is a saving of $400.)
- The CORE costs $799.99 for a single hearing aid and $1599.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $1199.99. This is a saving of $400.)
The average price of a single hearing aid in the U.S. is $2,300, according to the President’s Council for Science and Technology (PCAST report). Plus, MDHearingAid won’t charge you for a hearing test or other services, which keeps the cost of their products down. Of course, you should still see an audiologist to test your hearing, but purchasing hearing aids direct can provide cost savings.
What are the Pros and Cons of MDHearingAid?
- The MDHearingAid website is easy to use, with prices clearly displayed for potential customers.
- You can manage your hearing aid from your smartphone or tablet (CORE model only).
- Prices for hearing aids are considerably more affordable than the national average.
- There is a wide range of customer service options if you have a problem.
- Medicare supplement insurance may cover some of the costs of MDHearingAid products.
- MDHearingAid is a reputable company with more than 10 years of experience and 500,000 customers.
- Protection plans will cost you extra. However, you do get a free one-year protection plan on the PRO and CORE models (if you buy a pair of hearing aids in one of these ranges.)
- There is no live chat feature if you want to communicate with customer service reps. You can, however, contact the company via phone or email.
Don’t You Need to Visit a Hearing Specialist?
MD Hearing Aid designed their hearing aids for people with mild to moderately severe hearing loss, and can be purchased directly from their website.
Returns and Warranty Information
Not satisfied with your MDHearingAid device? You can return it and receive a full refund within 45 days from the date of purchase. The company recommends a trial period of 21 days to allow your brain to adjust to your new device. However, this trial period isn’t mandatory and you can return your device whenever you like within the 45 days. The company also says it will cover your device against any defects in workmanship and materials for 90 days from the date you receive your order.
MDHearingAid has different customer service options if you need to talk to someone about your hearing aid, warranty information, app connectivity, or other problems. They offer service by phone and via email.
Choosing the right hearing aid for you doesn’t have to be a struggle. MDHearingAid offers different options that might suit your lifestyle and budget. Visit MDHearingAid’s website for more details
Kirk P. is a freelance writer who specializes in technology and consumer reviews.