Changing Cochleas, Part 2: “A Perfect 1 & 1/2 Turns”

Gael Hannan
February 14, 2017

The Big Day—Before, During and After


Are you one of those people who never looks back, who never second guesses a decision? 

Well, I’m not. In the 14 months between saying let’s do it and actually having my cochlear implant, I did not regret my decision. But when people asked me if I was excited about the cochlear implant, I always said not yet. It didn’t seem real; I couldn’t imagine being on the other side of activation day, the day when I would start hearing with my new device. 

But now it’s in progress. Surgery—been there, done that. Activation—two weeks from time of writing. Rehabilitation—ongoing, with expected lifelong improvement. And still, no regrets.

My family and friends have supported my decision from the beginning. The Hearing Husband isn’t the kind of man who sits and dreams about what could be; if something can help, let’s do it. My father, almost 90, quietly follows and cheers on my progress (while limiting his own hearing aid use to daily card games with his lady friend). And I received a strong gust of girlfriend-support at a snowshoeing getaway a few days before surgery. At the final breakfast, my best friends pulled up their sleeves to reveal supportive but temporary cochlea tattoos that echoed my real one.

How could I not succeed with this kind of love and support?

The surgery aspect of implantation may be intimidating for many people and others view it as invasive, but I see it differently.

If I hadn’t had several foot surgeries when I was a child, mere walking would always have been painful. Without a caesarean section, my baby and I might not have survived. Surgery that saves, repairs or corrects is not invasive, but necessary. Many deaf people choose not to have surgery because they don’t require ‘fixing’ and I deeply respect that opinion. But my language has always been the spoken one and I was struggling; I chose cochlear implantation to improve my communication—doing better than ever would be nice, but I’m trying to manage my expectations.

I arrived at the hospital, calm and ready, partly because new pre-operation rules meant I could now have coffee, which was a precious moment of routine in a decidedly non-normal day. As I was prepped for surgery, there were only a couple of ‘off’ moments. You have to wear two of those pale, over-washed hospital gowns; the first one had to open to the back and because its neck strings had become permanently knotted, I slipped it over my head. The second is worn with the opening tied at the front. As I sat waiting like a queen in my regal attire, I actually growled at the TV because—once again—there was no captioning.

Soon I was on a gurney outside the operating room. Various medical people asked me questions, repeatedly, leaning in close for better speechreading as I couldn’t wear my contact lenses or glasses and had just the one hearing aid in my ‘good’ ear which they removed at the last moment. What was my name, date of birth, did I have allergies, had I eaten anything. The question that bothered me even after the surgery: do you have any loose teeth?  

The otolaryngology (ENT) resident asked if I had any questions. Yes, doctor, I do: how are you going to make sure you don’t do the wrong side?  Call me fussy, but this was important to me. He drew out a purple pen and marked clear instructions on my forehead. It took the nurse and the anaesthesiologist a couple of minutes of fumbling to un-knot my ball gown; I think I laughed and said I’d be writing about this. (Mission now accomplished.) The last thing I remember, as the anaesthetic took hold, is that the tinnitus in my ears disappeared for a few blessed seconds before my consciousness followed behind.

Then I was awake. Groggy, I checked out my worst fear—had the facial nerve been affected (an extremely rare occurrence)? Hooray, my mouth was the same shape as before! Had they implanted the correct side? Hooray again for the purple arrow! 

In the 10 days since the surgery, things have improved daily. Pain is minimal, almost nothing. No vertigo. Some minor light-headedness, but in a post-surgery call, Dr. Chen, my surgeon, said the way to get over this was to get up and move around as much as possible. My husband also heard the instructions and, after the first couple of days when I mostly slept, he had me shuffling around the dining and living room; now I can march rather than shuffle. Due to the chorda tympani nerve being affected, my tongue has that scalded (but painless) feeling after you’ve burned it on hot cheese, but my taste is unaffected. Also, the upper rim of my pinna (ear flap) is numb-ish and if I wanted another ear piercing, which I don’t, this would be the time. All of these symptoms will improve with time. Dr. Chen was pleased with the surgery, because the x-rays showed that the new electrodes had done “a perfect 1 ½ turns” in the cochlea.

I have a Walking Dead zombie incision on the side of my head which is healing nicely, they tell me, and my hair is already growing over it. There was a minor freak-out around Day 6…looking in the mirror, my right ear seemed bigger than the left. The more I stared, the bigger it seemed to grow to about the size of a rugby player’s cauliflower ear.  Again, this minor swelling will subside which is good; I’ll wear egg-shaped processors on my head but I didn’t sign on for radically different-sized ears. It’s a personal image thing.

Staples come out tomorrow and activation is in 10 days’ time, when I get my very own Kanso. And now—I’m getting excited.


Thank you to Cochlear Americas and to HearingHealthMatters for their support in the development of the “Changing Cochleas” series.  As always, the experiences and opinions in this article are mine alone.

  1. Hi Gael, glad to read that it’s going well. And of course, you will have vertically mounted telecoil in the external earpiece!

  2. I am seriously considering a CI.

    I hope there will be a follow up note from you on the practical results. If so, when? If not, why not?

    Wonderful so far. g

  3. My original message which included my e mail was rejected as spam.

    May I assume that you have my e mail and can expect a response?


    1. Gerald, give me some time! Lol. It’s only been a little over a month since surgery and and 10 days since switch on. I will be reporting each week on progress. Activation blog is next week.

  4. Hi Gael! Congratulations! I had my implant done in 1994 and I’m still loving it.

  5. Gail, I’m eight days behind you in this process! Thank you for articulating your feelings about your CI journey thus far. It is so similar to mine I feel like I’m reading about me! Your words helped give me some perspective, something I needed today!

  6. Quite a neat story. I love the arrow over the eyebrow. Waiting for the next installments.

  7. Hi Gael, thanks for sharing your story about CI surgery. It was almost like being with you as the surgery progressed. Looking forward to your next chapter.

  8. Gael,
    This is such great communication. STORIES are what motivate people, and you do that for the HOHs better than anyone I’ve met. I am The Hearing Wife for my husband Dick Meyer (past HLAA national president and nephew of Rocky Stone), and I don’t miss one of your columns. Thank you, and hope to see you in June in Salt Lake.

    Laurie Meyer

  9. That is so exciting, Gael! I was evaluated for an Implant last fall and was considered not quite bad enough. Now I wish I had not done.So well at “guessing” those words. Especially since my right ear is completely non-functional. Waiting anxiously for your successful activation.

    1. I’m not really just didn’t let me leave my name. Better luck this time.

    1. You’re welcome, Renee! Hope you’re reading the full series as it rolls out. Good luck!

Leave a Reply