At the 2023 CES event in Las Vegas, Eargo unveiled the latest iteration of its direct to consumer hearing technology: Eargo 7
The Eargo 7 is an OTC (Over-the-Counter) hearing aid that aims to provide an affordable solution for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss. While it competes directly with other OTC devices, like those from Sony or Jabra, at a retail price at $2,950 (currently discounted to $2,490), it is more than double the price of other typical OTC hearing aids on the market.
Design and Comfort
The design of the Eargo devices has been one of its biggest selling points for years and Eargo’s newest device is not exception. Its discreet appearance sets it apart from modern competitors that offer more earbud style designs or the popular receiver in canal (RIC) style that is also frequently seen among prescription hearing aids.
Users may find the Eargo 7’s design to be appealing due to its inconspicuous nature and comfortable fit.
While it may not fit the very smallest of ear canals, it fits the majority of them quite well for comfortable, all day use.
What’s in the box?
When you receive your Eargo 7 system, it will include:
- 2 Eargo devices: Each purchase includes a device for each ear.
- Petals and Mic Caps: Customize sound adjustment, fit, and care with interchangeable options.
- Cleaning Tool: Keep your Eargos clean at home for optimal sound quality and longer battery life.
- Charger: Safely store and charge your Eargos overnight or on the go.
- USB-C Power Cord: Easily connect the Eargo case to a wall outlet or USB port for charging.
- USB Power Adapter: Use the adapter to connect the Eargo power cable to a wall outlet.
Beyond what is physically included in the box, the company also offers support through the Welcome Call to help you “maximize the benefits of your Eargo devices”. Users will also have access to hearing professionals who can provide quality assistance for life.
Additionally users can stay connected and receive support through in-app video consultations with hearing professionals, allowing you to seek guidance from anywhere you are.
Setup and Battery Life
Eargo simplifies the setup process with its self-fitting functionality, powered by the Sound Match feature. To begin, users need to register and download the Eargo mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Pairing and connecting the Eargo 7 system (Charger and Hearing Aids) with the app is straightforward.
Once connected, users can embark on the guided onboarding process. As part of this process, Sound Match comes into play. By placing the hearing devices in your ears, Sound Match measures your hearing thresholds for each side. This 10-15 minute assessment enables the app to suggest and apply appropriate sound amplification settings tailored to your hearing loss profile.
Instead of requiring a clinic visit and sessions with a hearing professional, the Eargo app empowers users to take control of their own sound experience. Following the completion of self-fitting with Sound Match, users gain the ability to further customize their hearing aids through the app.
The flexibility to explore and fine-tune settings at your own pace and on your own time enhances the convenience of the Eargo self-fitting process. The app allows users to:
- Change your program selection
- Configure Volume settings for each program, and each ear.
- Configure Treble & Bass settings for each program, and each ear.
- Mute the volume in Left, Right or both ears.
- Configure the Noise Filter for each program, for both ears
Not comfortable with the self-fit process? The purchase of the Eargo 7 hearing aids also includes a Welcome Call appointment and lifetime product support. Additionally, you are able to re-take Sound Match at any time and reconfigure your devices as often as you need to.
With a up to 16 hours of battery life, you can easily go all day before needing to recharge Eargo hearing aids. The portable case also holds up to 2 full charges without needing to be plugged into power.
Key features of the new Eargo 7 include:
- Adaptive Sound Processing: Eargo 7 incorporates the Sound Adjust+ feature, which intelligently analyzes the surrounding soundscape and adapts to loud environments. This advanced sound processing capability prioritizes speech or reduces noise, ensuring optimal comfort and improved performance in noisy settings.
- Enhanced Performance in Noisy Environments: Eargo is designed to minimize background noise effectively, offering a better hearing experience in challenging acoustic environments such as restaurants, workplaces, and outdoor areas. Its advanced noise reduction technology swiftly responds to loud sounds, allowing for clearer and more focused listening.
- Water-Resistant Design: Eargo 7 has undergone extensive testing to achieve an IPX7 water-resistance rating, making it capable of withstanding exposure to water for up to 30 minutes at a depth of one meter. This feature provides users with the confidence to wear their Eargo 7 devices during activities like exercising or in rainy weather conditions, without worrying about potential damage.
- Convenient Rechargeability: Eargo hearing aids utilize customized and rechargeable batteries, offering a practical and eco-friendly alternative to disposable batteries. The Eargo 7 model can be fully charged within six hours, providing up to 16 hours of continuous power. This eliminates the need for frequent battery replacements and ensures convenience for users.
In summary, the Eargo 7 offers a comfortable and uniquely discreet solution for individuals with mild to moderate hearing loss. With a lot of premium features packed into a small, well designed space, the Eargo 7 makes for a compelling choice.
While it does command a premium price from among its OTC competitors, there is a lot to like about the Eargo 7 devices.
Visit the company’s website here to learn more.
For those who want a similarly discreet solution with a smaller price tag might want to check out our review of the Sony CRE-C10.