This post contains affiliate links. We may earn an advertising or referral fee from this article. This helps us continue to provide high quality content for free to readers like you.
Read This 2020 Review With Pros, Cons, Customer Reviews, and Prices
by Kirk P.
MDHearingAid offers hearing aid solutions for people with different hearing loss problems. You can choose a device from their range that comes with all the features you need. Unlike some other hearing aid manufacturers, MDHearingAid sells its products directly to you, the consumer. This means you don’t need to visit a hearing specialist for an examination or travel miles to your nearest hearing aid center. But is it really possible to get good hearing aids without a test? And how does this affect the price?
This comprehensive review will provide you with all the information you need if you’re deciding whether to purchase a product from MDHearingAid. You will find out product information and specifications, prices, pros, cons, and real customer reviews.
About the Company
MDHearingAid has sold hearing aids for more than a decade to more than 500,000 people in the U.S. They provide FDA-registered hearing aids programmed by their in-house audiologist. The company operates from Southfield, MI.
“From leadership to distribution to customer support, we’re passionate about helping people with hearing loss get affordable hearing aid solutions, and we’re dedicated to making your experience with us a good one,” MDHearing Aid says.
What You Need to Know
MDHearingAid sells various hearing aid solutions and accessories, including analog, classic, rechargeable, and smart devices.
In this review, we’re going to feature all four of MDHearingAid’s products. These are, in no particular order, the AIR, VOLT, and CORE.
These products have different price points and features. Let’s take a closer look:
The AIR is MDHearingAid’s best-selling model, and it offers great-quality sound without the expensive price tag. Utilizing the latest digital technology, the AIR has an almost-invisible design, which makes it hard for others to notice your hearing aid.
The AIR has three audio settings, so you can adapt to your listening environment without any of the fuss. These settings are: Quiet, Social, and Noisy.
The AIR model has better noise reduction, which makes it a great option for noisy, social situations, such as eating in a restaurant or watching a sports game.
There’s no annoying whistle sound when you come in contact with another person who is wearing a hearing aid. This is because this model has a feedback cancellation feature.
- You can use the AIR in various locations, such as churches, theaters, meetings, and when relaxing at home.
- You can watch TV without having to increase the volume and annoying people in your home.
- You can enjoy clear conversations with friends, family, and co-workers. This product is also great for talking on the phone.
- There’s no need for a custom fit. You receive tubes and tips when you purchase this product.
Many people upgrade from earlier models to the AIR and enjoy advanced audio quality. “A significant improvement over the Pro,” says one verified buyer on the MDHearingAid website. “I’ve been very happy with it.”
When you purchase the AIR, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- One year’s worth of batteries (when you buy a pair), which saves you as much as $30.
The MDHearingAid VOLT is a rechargeable device, which suits anyone who doesn’t want to have to keep buying and replacing batteries. There’s a charging dock included with this product, which could save you a significant amount of money over time.
MDHearingAid says that, when charged, the VOLT lasts for a full day without losing power. They recommend placing the VOLT on the magnetic charger (included for free) overnight for full power the next day.
The VOLT comes with advanced noise reduction, with dual-directional microphones that distinguish between sounds. This means it emphasizes sounds the user wants to hear (like a friend talking) and reduces unwanted background noise.
- Like the AIR, there’s no whistle sound when you come into contact with another person who is wearing a hearing aid because of the feedback cancellation feature.
- The VOLT will suit someone who wants to live an active life, with four audio settings that let the user customize their listening experience.
- People with hearing loss can use the VOLT in a wide range of locations, such as churches, meetings, restaurants, and more.
- The VOLT is also great for watching TV, talking over the phone, and enjoying clear conversations with other people.
- This product is small and lightweight, with a near-transparent tube that makes it difficult for anyone to know that you are wearing a hearing aid.
- It comes with tubes and tips in the box.
When you purchase the VOLT, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- A charging dock.
The LifeEar CORE from MDHearingAid is for people who want to customize their hearing aid via their smartphone or tablet. Essentially, it puts you in control.
This Bluetooth-enabled hearing aid connects to various smartphone and tablet models but keeps its small format. Users can adjust the CORE based on their specific hearing problems, making this product a good choice for people who suffer from all different kinds of hearing loss issues.
LifeEar CORE is available on both iOS and Android devices. This is the highest-rated app for hearing aids, with a rating of 4.2/5 on the App Store and 4/5 on Google Play.
- Users can adjust sounds via an app and control their hearing experience. The hearing aid also adapts to a user’s listening environment, with four audio settings that enhance sounds.
- There are two directional microphones that distinguish between sounds. As a result, users can listen clearly to the sounds they want to hear while the device reduces unwanted background noise.
- There’s no whistle sound when you approach another person with a hearing aid because of the feedback cancellation feature.
- The CORE has four settings that allow users to hear sounds in various noisy environments, such as churches and theaters.
- It’s also great for watching TV, talking on the phone, and having clear conversations with friends and family.
When you purchase the LifeEar CORE, you receive:
- A resistant carrying case.
- One year’s worth of batteries (when you buy a pair), which could save you $30.
- Two tubes and two tips.
- A one-year protection plan (when you buy a pair), which could save you $80.
With MDHearingAid, there are no hidden fees or nasty surprises. The company posts all of their prices on their website, which makes it easy to compare their devices with other products on the market.
- The AIR costs $399.99 for a single hearing aid and $799.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $399.99. This is a saving of $400.)
- The VOLT costs $599.99 for a single hearing aid and $1199.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $799.99. This is a saving of $400.)
- The CORE costs $799.99 for a single hearing aid and $1599.99 for a pair. (At the time of this review, MDHearingAid reduced the price for a pair to $1199.99. This is a saving of $400.)
You can see a full list of prices here.
The average price of a single hearing aid in the U.S. is $2,300, according to the President’s Council for Science and Technology. As you can see above, MDHearingAid devices are considerably more affordable than the national average, with the most expensive model, the CORE, costing just $799.99 for a single unit. Even a pair of CORE hearing aids cost significantly less ($1599.99, or $1199,99 at the reduced price) than the national average for a single hearing aid.
So, why are they so affordable? Doctor’s offices, audiology centers, and some retailers put a sizable markup on hearing aids, which means you end up paying much more. Buying directly from MDHearingAid, on the other hand, will save you a considerable amount of cash.
Plus, MDHearingAid won’t charge you for a hearing test or other services, which keeps the cost of their products down. Of course, you should still see an audiologist to test your hearing, but purchasing hearing aids direct will work out much cheaper. Remember, buying direct doesn’t mean you are going to receive low-quality hearing aids. You’re just cutting out the “middle man.”
What are the Pros and Cons of MDHearingAid?
- The MDHearingAid website is easy to use, with prices clearly displayed for potential customers.
- You can manage your hearing aid from your smartphone or tablet (CORE model only).
- Prices for hearing aids are considerably more affordable than the national average.
- There is a wide range of customer service options if you have a problem.
- Medicare supplement insurance may cover some of the costs of MDHearingAid products.
- MDHearingAid is a reputable company with more than 10 years of experience and 500,000 customers.
- Protection plans will cost you extra. However, you do get a free one-year protection plan on the PRO and CORE models (if you buy a pair of hearing aids in one of these ranges.)
- There is no live chat feature if you want to communicate with customer service reps. You can, however, contact the company via phone or email.
Why Don’t You Need to Visit a Hearing Specialist?
MD Hearing Aid lets you purchase a doctor-designed, medical-grade hearing aid out of the box without visiting an audiologist. How is this possible? Research shows that around 90 percent of people suffer from similar hearing loss, so there’s no need for a custom fit. Moreover, MD Hearing Aid designed their hearing aids for people with mild to moderately severe hearing loss.
Returns and Warranty Information
Not satisfied with your MDHearingAid device? You can return it and receive a full refund within 45 days from the date of purchase. The company recommends a trial period of 21 days to allow your brain to adjust to your new device. However, this trial period isn’t mandatory and you can return your device whenever you like within the 45 days.
MDHearingAid will cover your device against any defects in workmanship and materials for 90 days from the date you receive your order. If your device isn’t working properly because of a product defect, MDHearingAid will replace it for free.
MDHearingAid has different customer service options if you need to talk to someone about your hearing aid, warranty information, app connectivity, or other problems. Customer service reps will try and solve your problem promptly.
You can speak to a customer rep over the phone on 312-366-3899 Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. (CST). You can also email the company at support@MDHearingAid.com 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you need advice from an expert audiologist, MDHearingAid can also help and recommend the right product in your specific circumstances.
You will also find various resources on the MDHearingAid website, including a Frequently Asked Questions page.
MDHearingAid holds an overall satisfaction rating of 3.5 stars out of 5, based on 56 customer reviews, on the website ConsumerAffairs.com. Overall, reviews are positive, with verified buyers commenting on the cost-effectiveness and value of these hearing aids.
“The best money I have ever spent on hearing aids,” says one reviewer. “Before MDHearingAid, I spent over $2500 on a pair of hearing aids that I was never satisfied with. MDHearingAid worked right out of the box. Keep them clean and you will be very happy. Thank you, MDHearingAid.com.”
“Great experience so far. I previously had the MDHearingAid AIR,” says another person who reviewed the LIfeEar CORE device. “These are much more natural to listen with as you can tailor the frequency response to match your hearing needs. The battery life is not as long as the AIR. However, this is about the only negative.”
On the website Consumers Advocate, MDHearingAid has a rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars, based on 8 reviews.
“I bought two LifeEar CORE hearing aids,” says one reviewer. “They came with the LifeEar smartphone app. You are able to custom setup each ear with audiologist quality. The sounds are clear, and there’s no feedback. It’s completely normal. I can hear my wife now. She doesn’t have to yell at me! This is the best investment I have made. I am very happy with my LifeEar CORE hearing aids.”
SeniorLiving.org gave MDHearingAid 4 out of 5 stars in a recent review:
“MDHearingAid offers lower-cost hearing aids that are simple to use. While there may not be much in the way of technology, the company does get good reviews for the quality of its products. These hearing aids are good for those who don’t want to spend a lot of money and who may not be that tech-savvy.”
Choosing the right hearing aid for you doesn’t have to be a struggle. With MDHearingAid, there are four options to choose from, and you can find a device that suits your lifestyle and budget. MDHearingAid provides some of the most affordable hearing aids on the market, and you won’t need to visit an audiologist or hearing center.
Although other products on the market might offer more features, all four of the MDHearingAid models will suit you if you’re looking for cost-effective hearing aids that don’t skimp on quality. Plus, you can benefit from a 45-day warranty and extensive customer service options.
Kirk P. is a freelance writer who specializes in technology and consumer reviews. He writes for Hearing Health Matters so people with hearing loss can make better buying decisions.